On Monday morning I got suited up into my school uniform, which I am actually liking to wear, and I made my way to the University. I prefer wearing a uniform here because I don't have to worry about what I am going to wear each day and the uniform really lets me become immersed in the school culture. Every morning I walk outside my apartment and I’m met by the beautiful weather that I am enjoying a lot. There is a 7/11 nearby where I get my quick breakfast which consists of a chocolate or coffee milk along assorted Thai bread and sandwiches. On the weekends I buy breakfast on the street because I am not on a time schedule for class. I enjoy walking to class, which is about a 15-20 minute walk from my apartment. The walk is scenic and it's interesting to see all of the local people set up their shop and start cooking food to sell for the day. My classes are interesting and involve topics like global migration, Buddhism, global health and psychology, and Thai language. I have four classes and only take them once a week, with the exception of the Thai language course, which is twice a week. I am done by 11am or 2pm and don't have class on Fridays which gives me a lot of time to enjoy the city. After class, I head to the cafeteria and grab lunch before buying street food and making my way back to my apartment to change clothes and decide what to do for the day. I have really become comfortable with Chiang Mai in only the short time I have been here so far and I am really enjoying being here. The people are super friendly and are always smiling, willing to help out with anything. Chiang Mai is a hub for local food and I can find streets lined with vendors selling Thai cuisine all over the city. Thai people love their chili peppers and many foods are spicy, along with having a very unique taste of Thai herbs. I have been buying all types of food and it is so cheap! In my next post, I will share some of the local street food I have tried so far.
Shoes must be removed before entering most places, including classrooms, out of respect in Thai culture. (Along with lake view at CMU)
No comments:
Post a Comment