Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Multi-City Trip

Right now it is 1:30 AM and I am currently on my hostel bed in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam. Formerly known as Saigon. I’m gonna make this short because I need to sleep and wake up early. With the way today went, there is no doubt I am in for a big adventure for the next week.i booked tangos whole trip last minute and I am doing it solo. I have been waiting to do some intense sol traveling and this is the perfect chance. Today I took a flight to Bangkok, which is much busier than Chiang Mai. Then I flew to HMC. When I landed in Vietnam I realized I forgot my $25 for the visa which had to be in USD and there was no atm which made things take long. I had to be left downstairs to withdraw Dong and then trade some for the Visa fee. Then, just like in every other big city, taxi drivers tried to rip me off telling me the hostel was 30 minutes away, when I showed them it was really 10 minutes away and just laughed and declined their offer. I finally got a car that took me to my hostel but I didn’t realize it was on  the world famous backpacker street, which is absolutely insane. It is a long street packed with nightclubs and bars opened all night with people lined up on the streets trying to offer you things. My driver couldn’t make it down the street so I got out and walked. My phone died and it was getting late and I did not want to be out on the street because I am so tired tonight. I decided to enter a random hostel and I booked a bed for 2 nights. It was only $10 for 2 nights which isn’t that bad. The scene that is in this area is definitely a fun one for friends and a party vacation but For my first time in Saigon, I want to know about the history and take it on solo traveling. Tomorrow I am waking up early to search for some food and then make my way to a travel office where I begin a tour. I decided to book a tour because I am not here long and it was a great deal. I will be going to the old post office, the war remains museum, which I heard was unbelievable, the Chu Chi underground tunnels used in the Vietnam War, or the “Americans war” as locals know it as. Then we are given lunch and taken to the presidential palace, where the war saw its last day and came to an end. It is crazy to think that American my age were coming here 50 years ago, under totally different circumstances, and now I am here along with many Americans as tourists. It was interesting to see some Americans coming here in the airport who looked like Vietnam Veterans (from clothes and tattoos). I am definitely excited for tomorrow and to learn about the Vietnamese perspective of the war. It’s going to be an eye  opening experience. Since I am here for a shot stay I want to soak up as much historyand local culture as I can. If I was staying longer I would backpack through the north and enjoy some of the nightlife more here. In a few days I plan on stopping in Singapore for the day and spending the night before waking up the next day to fly to Jakarta Indonesia. I am excited to see Singapore and cross it off my list. Jakart has a reputation of being a gritty city that is not so easy for tourists, but there is definitely a lot to see in the metropolis. I’ll only stay there for 2 nights before I plan to adventure to he” 1000 Islands”. These are beautiful islands a few hours away by boat. I am taking the local way of transport and meeting at a fishing dock to be dropped off what one of the bigger islands. There I will get a motorbike and spend the night in a local homestay. The next morning I want to buy some fresh fish and rent a tent before taking a bit to a very secluded island. There are many. There I will basically be by myself along with a few fishermen and locals. I want to camp on the beach and make a fire eating the fresh seafood and coconuts on the island. This is fed going to be an incredible adventure and I can’t wait to check it out. I’ll also be staying at a capsule hotel in Jakarta ($6), which is basically like a pod room that feels like you are in space. From personal experience and listening to other travelers, it is true that nothing often goes totally as planned but that’s ok. This is true but at the end of the day the best memeories and experience are those that we didn’t plan. I’m coming into these countries with an open mind and going with the flow because it is one of the best experiences I have ever had. I am really tired now and want to sleep so I can have energy tomorrow so I want to get some sleep. (Even though the room is full of people snoring!) Hostels are all part of budget travel and become a very convenient thing when saving money. Trips like this make me remember why I love traveling so much. I’ll keep updating this blog throughout the days (where I get service).

1 comment: